Case Studies - HR & OD Consulting Practices
HR/Organizational Development Initiatives
Organization/ Business :
This organizational scale up and turnkey HR project was implemented to transform a 20 bedded Neuro focused Hospital into a 150 bed multi specialty hospital with most modern amenities with a Hub and Spoke model strategies. The promoter of this hospital a Neuro Surgeon with his team of like minded passionate professionals dreamt to make healthcare services accessible, available and accountable. The organization had a small facility and a staff number close to 100 when the strategic expansion was undertaken.
Scaling up from a single speciality to multi-speciality set up within limited means and available people competencies.
- A hospital is very complex services industry that relies heavily on employee skills and behaviours to earn its reputation as an excellent group on technical and humanitarian grounds. Being a fairly new healthcare group and working on thin margins it was difficult to attract professional manpower to foster the intended growth.
- The management team comprised of doctors and very few management professionals hence the team had to struggle managing their professional priorities and promoters role.
- With the cash rich (community/High Networth Individuals) funded hospitals competing just across road, establishing the credibility, brand and achieving profitable operations was an imposing task.
- Most of the growth answers depended upon why and how technically and professionally competent talent from other hospitals should give up their jobs to join this new venture?
HR/Organizational Development Initiatives
- Analysed of Sahyadri business model, Plan and strategy to derive appropriate HR strategies.
- Formulated of HR Plan in alignment with strategic goals integrating budgetary details.
- Defined organization structure and functional portfolios of directors/trustees.
- Conducted Manpower planning, recruitment of roughly 300 personnel covering 50 functional roles.
- Defined cost effective HR policies and compensation/benefits models to attract competent talent.
- Set up the Personnel and Administration Department with distinct roles and responsibilities.
- Merged employees of 3 different affiliate units of the hospital in to the main legal entity of a public limited company in consultation and coordination with legal advisors and Directors.
- Prepared induction manual to train and educate employees on value aligned behaviours and ensured appropriate induction programs across various employee levels.
- Conceptualized, designed and implemented performance management system integrating key components of the performance expectations and behavioural aspects.
- Devised and facilitated training modules for internal training activities of the hospital. Established a core group of internal trainers comprising of eminent doctors, department heads and other professional managers within the hospital to reduce the training cost while maintaining consistency.
- Organized and implemented Managerial Development Program for employees in "Must retain" category to keep the critical talent in main stream and build future leaders.
started with 150 bed single location hospital 5 years back , my client now is the largest chain of hospitals in Maharashtra with 10 hospitals, over 860 beds, 160 ICU beds, 700 physicians, 1700 support staff, over 10 lacs of patient base covered so far. With turnover of close to Rs. 25 Crores around 4 years back the hospital is poised to achieve a turnover close to Rs. 160 crores in the coming financial year. Most of the expanded units are led by internal talent in various senior managerial roles including unit CEO profiles.
Innovative Performance Management Model For Driving Profitability and Growth!
Our Client is a service organization with a reach over 80 countries across the globe with their offices and agencies set at strategic locations.
The entrepreneurial flair of top team has reflected in the commendable growth the organization has achieved within a comparatively short span of time
since its inception.
However as the business scaled up the management started slowly losing its grip over the performance of its employees deployed across various locations.
Over the years the Top Management Team had become quite apt at “hands on” management and close interactions with employees. However they started finding
it difficult to communicate performance expectations and evaluate employee performance as the workforce expanded in terms of number and geographical scope
As the organization operated from different international locations it was important for employees to work efficiently with a high sense of accountability
by mastering the various statutory norms/guidelines prevalent in these countries and avoiding losses owing to fines, statutory irregularities or other
financial implications that may create dent on profitability of the business operations in a particular region.
Being an IT enabled service organization it was imperative that employees working close to customer be more empowered and accountable for performance. At
the same time it was also critical that the role specific performance and service quality parameters (Observable Behaviors) are communicated and evaluated
through a systematic and formalized process.
- Defined and communicated the purpose and importance of this strategic initiative across organization to create positive energy and enthusiastic buy in from workfoce.
- Conducted Focused group meetings and interviews with MD, Management Team and Other key officials to gather data related to
- Brief organizational History, cultural nuances, growth vision and strategies, business value chain and role of various functions in delivering services to customers.
- Key business challenges/concerns and specific performance management issues
- Key long term expectations from each of the functions in terms of revenue growth, cost control, improving service quality, asset utilization, resource optimization and behavioural/ leadership behaviors to bring sustained results.
- Conducted detailed interviews with key officials in HR Team to understand status of existing HR processes, challenges, concerns and their expectations on the operational aspects of performance management.
- Conducted structured interviews of existing job holders and their supervisors to obtain the data on job descriptions, role specific behavioral and accountability expectations.
- Integrating the above data defined SMART (specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and time bound) goals, KRA/KPIs and key roles specific behavioral and leadership skills.
- Designed performance appraisal system model that integrated the following aspects to derive seggregation of employee performance in different performance groups.
- Measurable and Quantifiable Performance
- Leadership and Behavioural Competency Feedback
- Past Performance Track Record
- Growth Aspirations and Self Development Drive
- Recommended customized strategies, career and compensation management for each of the perormance groups. Guided managers to create time bound development plans for their teams along with specific compensation and career moves suggestions from a business centric perspective.
- Created process documents and conducted detailed process training for business leaders and managers to empower them with the knowledge and expertise on -
- Purpose and Business Rationale of the Model
- Performance Management and Appraisal Process Guidelines
- Method of performance assessment, business rationale behind scoring/ weightages,
- Categorization of employees in to different Quadrants based on their performance
- Performance Review mechanism with linkages to compensation and rewards decisions
- Guidelines/ideas for identifying causes of lower performance and rectifying such aspects
- Improved performance accountability and result focused behaviours across the team
- Enhanced revenue, profitability, cost efficiency and productivity due to high performing workforce
- Availability of auto pilot system to enable self-assessment of performance across levels.
- A fair and explainable basis for employee career development and compensation decisions
- Identification of pool of internal leaders for future growth based on an objective and fair process.